Wednesday, February 25, 2015

NXNA Austin Garden Tour

May 2014
Our garden is going to be on a Garden Tour!! The NXNA Garden & Artisan Tour will be May 2nd from 10am to 4pm. I'm excited to share my garden and my love of native plants with visitors that day and I hope I'll be able to inspire more people to get rid of their non-native grass and plant Texas natives.
October 2014
I'm really happy with the front yard so far, it's not finished, but I feel like we've accomplished a lot in a year and a half, about 3/4 of the non-native grass is gone and has been replaced with Texas native plants that need less water and maintenance and attract things like butterflies and hummingbirds. And they look really pretty too.
July 2013


January 2015
One of my main goals with tearing out grass and putting in native plants is to attract wildlife like butterflies and hummingbirds. Last year, I counted at least 6 different species of butterflies in the garden, and caterpillars from at least 3 of those species, including monarchs.
Monarch butterfly on Blackfoot Daisy, October 2014
 A few of my favorite plants in the gardens:
Black-eyed Susans May 2014

Purple Coneflower July 2014
Fall Asters October 2014
Gaura July 2014
I don't have many pictures of the process of making the gardens- none of tearing out grass or laying newspaper, just a couple from the most recent bed just after planting the 4-inch plants from the Wildflower Center fall plant sale.
Front bed just after planting, October 2014
Front bed just after planting, October 2014
And one after laying newspaper and granite. It looks darker brown when it's first put down, and after a few rains it gets more pinkish.
Granite just added in front bed, October 2014
The proceeds from the Garden Tour will go to Walnut Creek Park and McBee Elementary school. There will be 15 gardens on the tour, tickets are $10 and can be purchased here starting March 1st.

No comments: