Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Andy Roddick Summer Learning Program


At the Andy Roddick Summer Learning Program, Tuesdays after lunch is "reading with a dog" time. The kids partner up and then each group takes turns reading to Wichita. The timing is great for me, because I can volunteer during my lunch break. The kids really love Wichita, we've gone 3 weeks now and have been in a different classroom each time. The first week the kids met Wichita and immediately asked "is he a red-nosed pit bull?" I didn't know that until I read everything I could find about his coloring...how on Earth did a few 9 year old know that? The second week one of the teachers called Wichita an "angel baby sent from heaven". The third week, a kid asked "is he trained?" I said yes and gave a few examples. The kids asked "can we see?" I had Wichita sit, down, come, stay, and when I walked back to him, I threw him a treat which he caught in mid air. The kids (and teachers) applauded. Wichita loves the attention from all the kids. 








No comments: